Nuclear medicine combines chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer technology, and medicine in using radioactivity to diagnose and treat disease. Though there are many diagnostic techniques currently available, nuclear medicine uniquely provides information about both the structure and function of virtually every major organ system within the body. The are the individuals who are savvy and technology loving persons, they a have huge interest in health and medical science and these are career oriented people with vast skills.
Nuclear technology is different from X-ray technology, some people may have confusion to mix nuclear technology with the X-rays, that is not true. The techniques and procedures applied in the nuclear technology and treatment are safer than ever due to the progress of medical science, and nuclear technology is also very easy to operate on patients, patients hardly feel much pain or discomfort like in the dental treatment or other form s of treatments.
The Role of Nuclear Technologist
The healthcare professionals called Nuclear technologists are highly sophisticated and knowledgeable people in the world. They have specialized knowledge in the field of nuclear technology and they work side by side with the senior nuclear medicine physician or specialist in nuclear medicine. Some of the primary responsibilities of a nuclear technologist in any medical organization are as follows:
- Prepare and administer radioactive chemical compounds, known as radiopharmaceuticals.
- They perform imaging procedures by using their skills on the latest radiation detecting technology which is the result of the latest nuclear advancement in the medical science.
- They also perform the tasks like the enhancement of images and processing on the computer. They must be very proficient in using computer technology for the betterment of mankind.
- In the laboratory, their task can include analyzing the various biological specimens provided to them, this requires very good skills and analytical power.
- They also perform tasks like images, provide information related to patients to the doctors and physicians and perform analysis on he data of the patients for the correct diagnosis of disease.
- They also work directly with the patients and must possess incredible patient management and communication skills with an empathetic behavior wih patients. They can help patient to gain and obtain confidence during the nuclear treatment and they observe patient history and suggest them best way to fight the disease.
- During the whole course of treatment and nuclear procedures applied on the patient, the job of the nuclear technologist is also to monitor the physical condition of the patients keenly and observe them correctly how they are doing in terms of recovery and progress.
Future Of Nuclear Technologist
The nuclear technologists have an exciting and successful future ahead of them if they are keen and serious individuals. Nuclear medicine is an ever growing field and constant developments are made into it. Due to the development of new radiopharmaceuticals, the future of nuclear technologists has become brighter than ever. The new and exciting technology of PET Positron Emission Tomography has also made this field a unique and exciting.